History 2019

Day 06

May 21

  Today will be quite a bit of travel after Chickamauga, so we are up early. We decide to just clear out of the motel so we can leave straight from the Cracker Barrel after breakfast.  
  I go for an omelet this morning instead of my usual breakfast and it is pretty good.  
  And I manage to sweep the field of battle before I am finished.  
  I have purposely routed us through the backroads over Lookout Mountain to avoid the crazy morning rush hour traffic of Chattanooga.  
  Our goal it to visit the sites where I have located the 17th Tennessee and JKP before we tour the museum.  
  The first stop is where he and his comrades camped for the night before they went to battle. To get there, we travel quiet, shady lanes through the forest.  
  Soon I have located the marker that points out where Johnson's Division, to which the 17th Tennessee was assigned, camped on the 18th of September.  
  Andy once again obliges us to take our picture where JKP once stood.  
  Somewhere in these dense woods, our great great grandfather spent the night, probably not getting much sleep faced with battle at sunrise.  
  On the 20th, under the command of Bushrod Johnson, the 17th of Tennessee and JKP ...  
  rushed the Federals ...  
  across this field and up toward Snodgrass hill.  
  On Snodgrass Hill is a monument that is placed where the 17th Tennessee ended up at the end of the battle. There is a parking lot nearby that we take advantage of.  

I tell Sissy and Andy -

"Well, this walk is about like that 3/4 'government' mile at Camp Wildcat."

We all laugh about that one and hike up our trousers and get after it.

  There are lots of markers along the way with this one giving the details about the end of the battle.  
  There are lots of replica cannons placed in the position of the artillery batteries on that day.  
  Finally we locate the marked for the 17th Tennessee and where JKP finished the battle. Andy takes the picture for us as we stand with 100 yards of where our ancestor was standing at the end of the battle. It is still hard to imagine what emotions must have have been in his head at this point, knowing he had just survived another major conflict while others in his unit did not. I do know from reading private correspondence of soldiers that most did not believe they would survive the war. They figured sooner or later a minie ball or cannon ball would have their name on it.  
  On the walking path there is a group monument for the divisions that fought here - the 17th, 23rd, 25th, and 44th Tennessee under Bushrod Johnson.  
  It is one of the few really impressive Confederate monuments that we will see on the battlefield.  
  With that done, we head back to the museum to see what we can see.  
  There are over 600 bronze and stone monuments on this particular battlefield. They were placed here between 1890 and 1930 - some paid for by the government, some by the states and some by veteran's organizations.  
  What makes Chickamauga such a unique battlefield is that is was the first one set up on August 18, 1890 by the United States Government. Three veterans of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga battles were placed in charge of the development effort. Many veterans of the battle came back and retraced their steps to insure accurate placement of and information on the color coded plaques and markers back in the 1890s. We will not visit another battlefield that is so thoroughly documented as this one at Chickamauga.  
  This plaque tells the story of the creation of Chickamauga National Military Park, the first in the nation. The act to do so was passed through the House of Representatives in 23 minutes and there was no opposition in the Senate where 7 Senators were veterans of the battle.  
  In front of the museum we see all sorts of examples of the cannons used in the battle from this 10 pounder Parrott with a rifled barrel ...  
  to a 12 pounder Napoleon especially effective at stopping infantry assaults...  
  to a 12 pounder rifled James with a range of 1,700 yards...  
  to a 6 pounder smooth bore gun...  
  to a 12 pound Howitzer made expressly for the Confederacy...  
  to a 3 inch ordnance rifle which could fire long distances.  
  The two armies that engaged here were the Union Army of the Cumberland under General William Rosecrans and the Army of Tennessee under General Braxton Bragg.  
  While we are in the museum, we see an exhibit of that blamed Spencer Rifle that was so effective at the Battle of Hoover's Gap.  
  We also see an exhibit on Snodgrass Hill where we saw the monument marking the spot that the 17th Tennessee and JKP ended up at the close of the battle.  

Since the 23rd fought side by side with the 17th, it is interesting to read the after battle report by Colonel Keeble of the 23rd which mentions the 17th frequently -

Report of Col. R. H. Keeble, Twenty-third Tennessee Infantry.

September 28, 1863.
SIR: On the morning of the 17th, our brigade, being at or near
Ringgold, Ga., was ordered to be in readiness to move upon the
Ringgold road. Having moved upon the road toward Ringgold,
about 2. 30 or 3 o'clock we were informed that the enemy were
on the opposite (north) side of Ringgold and advancing upon the
place. Hastening the march, we formed line of battle on the south
side of Ringgold, my right resting upon the left of the
Twenty-fifth Tennessee, the Seventeenth Tennessee being upon
my left. I formed in a skirt of woods facing town, and
immediately threw forward skirmishers on the opposite side. The
enemy, however, were repulsed with our artillery, and we
remained in position quietly until next morning.

On Friday, the 18th instant, I took up the line of march, left in
front, following the Seventeenth Tennessee. We followed the
enemy in the direction of Chattanooga, and found them near the
junction of the Graysville and La Fayette and Ringgold and
Chattanooga roads. At this point I formed line of battle along the
Graysville and La Fayette road, the Twenty-fifth being on my
right and Seventeenth Tennessee on my left. We formed about 10
o'clock in the morning and moved upon them in line of battle,
skirmishing with them all the way until we reached the
Chickamauga River.

Before reaching the river, however, the Seventeenth Tennessee
was detached and moved to support a battery, thus throwing my
regiment upon the extreme left of the line, coming to open space
in front of the river, my left resting upon the road running across
the bridge. My skirmishers were now hotly engaged with the
enemy at the bank of the river, and I was suffering from the
effects of the enemy's fire, when all at once, without a
command, the regiment with one accord charged the river and
bridge at double-quick and put the enemy to flight. My
skirmishers were immediately ordered across the river and
thrown forward. I then moved by the left flank across the bridge
and immediately formed line of battle upon my left company, the
Twenty-fifth Tennessee forming upon my right when across. The
brigade then moved by the right flank 300 or 400 yards and
halted, the Seventeenth in the meantime having crossed and
formed upon my left. We then advanced in line 300 or 400
yards, and made a left wheel over the crest of a hill where it was
supposed the enemy had rallied. They had, however, left the
field. We then moved by the flank, left in front, about 3 miles,
when information was received that the enemy were in our front
and to our right. We then moved by the right flank (throwing us
in line of battle) about 300 yards; changed front forward left
battalion (Seventeenth Tennessee), and rested upon our arms
during the night.

We had on this day 28 officers and 158 non-commissioned
officers and privates, and lost in the charge upon the bridge 5
non-commissioned officers and privates, among whom was the
color bearer (Private A. Melton), wounded in the leg. This brave
soldier wept when he had to part with the colors, and said to the
one who took them up, "Carry them through the thickest of battle
ahead of everything else."

On Saturday, September 19, having slightly changed
position so as to occupy the crest of a small hill, we lay in line
pretty much all day under the fire of the enemy's artillery and
sharpshooters until about 2 o'clock, when we were ordered
forward and met the enemy, driving them across the road and a
skirt of woods and open field. They had been driven from the
field; two pieces of this [their] artillery upon my right and the
left of the Twenty-fifth Tennessee were silenced and abandoned.
We were, however, unable to take the guns off, and it is thought
some other brigade or division took possession of them.

Having crossed the open field and the enemy having fled from
before us, we halted to reform our lines. It was then discovered
that there was no brigade on our left, and the enemy being upon
our left flank and in rear of the left wing of the Seventeenth
Tennessee, necessitated our falling back across the road, which
we did and reformed speedily. Here we rested upon our arms
during the night, and thus closed the Saturday's action. We
fought them from 2 o'clock until late in evening.

I carried into action on this day 28 officers and 149
non-commissioned officers and privates, and lost in officers 1
killed and 5 wounded; in non-commissioned officers and
privates, 5 killed; wounded and captured, 58.

Maj. J. G. Lowe was seriously wounded on this day while nobly
discharging his duty, and only escaped being captured by his
forethought and prudence.

Sunday morning, September 20, the formation of the brigade
stood as before, my regiment being upon the left of the
Twenty-fifth Tennessee and right of the Seventeenth Tennessee.
The action commenced about 7 o'clock in the morning and
became general about 10 o'clock, when we were ordered to
advance. I immediately engaged the enemy with my skirmishers,
and came upon their line on the opposite side of the road, when
they fled in confusion before our sudden and impetuous charge.
Moving a short distance by the right flank, we again moved
forward and came on another line strongly posted in a cedar
grove or thicket. Here I engaged them about ten or fifteen
minutes when we drove them in confusion out of the glade across
the open field to the crest of a hill where their artillery was
planted, and, pressing rapidly forward, utterly routed them. In
this charge I passed by a house in which the enemy had been
posted across the yard and garden. It was in this charge that
Lieut. Col. Horace Ready was wounded while gallantly doing his

Having pressed forward to the top of the hill, we discovered that
the enemy fled in the wildest confusion and dismay from their
third strong position, leaving in their hasty flight knapsacks and
baggage, several wagons laded with commissary and
quartermaster's stores and ordnance, several of artillery and
caissons, some of which were capsized in their confusion.
Several prisoners also fell into our hands. It is estimated that
some 8 or 10 wagons and 5 or 6 pieces of artillery, with
caissons, fell into our hands, and which we had no opportunity
of removing until next morning.

Having halted and reformed upon the hill, which we had at last
driven the enemy from, we changed direction to the right by
brigade wheel, in which maneuver I passed down the hollow and
into a corn-field in the bottom and to the right of the hill we had just
left. Here we halted some fifteen or twenty minutes, I suppose,
until a battery could be put in position on a hill then immediately
in our front. I then moved forward with the rest of the brigade to
the foot of the hill, and while our battery was playing upon the
enemy, replenished our ammunition from the enemy's ordnance
wagons which had fallen into our hands. The enemy having
advanced to capture the battery, we were ordered forward to
resist them.

It was now about 1 o'clock. Having charged the enemy, I
engaged them about fifteen minutes, when, the right having given
way and the enemy overlapping on my left. I fell back with the
rest of the brigade under the brow of the hill. I then moved by
the right flank, throwing my regiment on the right of the battery,
it before, being on the left. A brigade was then moved to extend
the left of our line and one thrown in our front.

It was now about 2. 30 o'clock, when the brigade in our front
charged the enemy and we were ordered to their support. Upon
our advance the brigade in our front retired to our rear, leaving
nothing but the enemy before us. Here commenced the most
desperate conflict of the day. For three hours and forty minutes
it raged most furiously. With our small band, whose ranks were
becoming every moment thinner, we charged the full columns of
the enemy and drove them before us, but drove them only to
rally again, and in their turn charge us. Four desperate assaults
and charged were made upon us, hurling upon us their immense
columns, line after line, but as stubbornly were they resisted.

The battle-field here baffled description. The most vivid
description of Waterloo would fail to depict. Leonidas with his
300 never withstood such desperate assaults and charges. Both
sides left that this was the turning tide of the battle. Hold it, and
the victory was ours; lose it, and the tide of battle would change
and all our previous advantages be lost. Night was now coming
on; our ammunition was failing the men, some of them, having
but one round--none of them exceeding three; guns had been
and injured, and more becoming foliate and useless.

Foreseeing this danger, myself, with every other field officer of
the brigade, begged and besought a brigade which was skulking
behind trees in our rear to come forward and give but one
volley. Alas! they heeded not the call. We looked in vain for
other supports; none were near. The anxiety of the moment was
terrible. Solitary and alone we were to fight that fight, and had
then nothing upon which to rely but the individual valor and
courage of our brave men.

The time had now come for something decisive. When I gave the
command "forward, charge," with a terrible yell the men sprung
forward--all, alas, that were left of them--the other regiments
acting in concert. The enemy were routed from our front and
fled in the wildest confusion. Pursuit was useless; they were far
beyond our reach. Firing now ceased; my line reformed; I filed
to the right, following the Twenty-fifth Tennessee, and your
brigade was reformed, forming upon the left of a brigade which
came up in our rear before the firing ceased. I then changed
direction to the right. The brigade having made a wheel,
reformed on a line perpendicular to the one we occupied during
the evening engagement, and rested in this position during the

I cannot give too much credit to the men and officers of my
command. I am happy to report that not one failed in his duty or
straggled from the battle-field.

I carried into this day's action 22 officers, and lost 1 killed and
5 wounded; 86 non-commissioned officers and men, and lost in
killed 5, wounded and missing 18, 7 our of the number having
been detailed during the engagement to man a battery. Some of
the wounded have since died, and some few of the slightest have
again returned to duty in the regiment, though scarcely able.

My loss through the three days (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday)
was 12 officers and 91 non-commissioned officers and privates;
aggregate, 103. Every member of the field and staff were struck. Lieut.-Col.
Ready and Maj. Lowe nobly did their duty until wounded.
Adjutant Gwyn rendered valuable services on this occasion, and
Private Riddley (ex-captain), the soldier without bounty,
displayed that extraordinary zeal valor which entitles him to the
highest consideration. Second Sergt. J. J. Shelton, Company D,
distinguished himself for his great coolness and readiness. Z. P.
Lee, of Company C, and Aaron Todd, of Company H, privates,
both displayed the highest of heroism by refusing to leave the
field after they were wounded, but continued to battle on as long
as they were able. Private J. D. Jeffries, color bearer, displayed
the highest degree of courage and extraordinary degree of valor
in the manner in which he bore the colors. Always far in
advance, he would move if defiantly in the very face of the
enemy. Lieut. Vernon, of Company B, deserves especial mention
for the manner in which he bore himself.

Most respectfully submitted.

Col., Comdg. Twenty-third Tennessee Regt.



There is an exhibit that shows what the usual attire was for the Confederate soldier on the field.

  I am a bit surprised to look up and see a replica of the battle flag of the 17th Tennessee.  
  The original one is in the state museum in Nashville.  
  In another exhibit are two tree sections taken from the battlefield that have cannon balls from the battle lodged in them. One of the difficulties of the battle was the dense woods that really hindered communications among the armies.  
  One of the park rangers directs us to an incredible firearms display - the Fuller Gun Collection - adjoining the main museum. In one of the display cases is an original blunderbuss, a short-barreled large-bored gun with a flared muzzle.  
  Also I see several models of the Colt Revolver rifles that never caught on. It seems that sometimes the rifle would fire two bullets - one at the target and one at the hand of the shooter.  
  There are every long arms you could imagine on display and each one has been restored to like new perfection.  
  As we leave the museum, we are happy to see several local school buses pull to up. At least these children will get some exposure to history instead of just current events. If future generations do not learn the history of this nation, then they will not appreciate the sacrifices it took to give them the freedoms that they enjoy.  
  Our next stop is the Battle of Bean Station and on the way we get to watch another elephant dance.  
  But soon we are off the slab and on the pleasant two lanes of 11w.  
  When I pass this old cabin, I wonder if it was witness to the moving armies that day in December of 1863.  

This is one of the few 17th Tennessee Infantry reports in existence by General Bushrod Johnson. It goes into detail of the Battle at Bean Station -

Engagement at Bean's Station BY BR Johnson December 14, 1863 -

Report of Brigadier-General Bushrod R. Johnson, C. S. Army, commanding Buckner's division, relative to the engagement at Bean's Station, December 14, 1863.
~ ~ ~
On Monday, December 14, this division moved on Bean's Station at the head of the infantry, preceded by 100 cavalry, under Capt. Moore, of Col. Giltner's regiment. The roads were very wet and muddy and the weather was cold and inclement. Many of our men were barefooted, and of these numbers failed to keep up with their regiments. Others more enduring and persistent pressed nobly on, and were seen among the foremost and most active in the subsequent engagement. About 3 miles east of Bean's Station at 2 p. m. the cavalry encountered and drove back the enemy's pickets and sharply engaged the reserve. My leading brigade (Gracie's) was moved up, and seven companies of the Fifty-ninth Alabama Regiment, commanded by Lieut. Col. J. D. McLennan, was advanced as skirmishers, the center moving along the road. The cavalry under Capt. Moore closed in to the left and uncovered its front. The enemy continued to fall back skirmishing with this regiment of infantry for about 2 miles, and twice endeavored to make a stand. We then crossed the creek about half a mile east of Bean's Station, and the Forty-third Alabama Regiment, commanded by Col. Y. M. Moody, was deployed in rear of the Fifty-ninth and moved to the right, extending in the woods on the slope of the mountain on the north side of the valley. As the skirmishers ascended to the top of the hill east of the station, the enemy's artillery opened from three points on the elevations west of the station. Two of these points are on the north side and one on the south side of the Knoxville road. Our skirmishers were now ordered to lie down until our artillery could be brought up. About this time Brig. Gen. A. Gracie was wounded by a rifle ball in the arm. That I was deprived of his valuable services I was not aware until later in the day, as I had seen him return to the field after having had his wound examined. Taylor's battery of four Napoleon guns was placed in position on the north side of the road and supported by the Forty-first Alabama Regiment, commanded by Lieut.-Col. Trimmier, and Parker's battery was placed on the left of the road, with the right piece resting in the road. These batteries opened mainly on the two batteries of the enemy beyond Bean's Station and to the north of the road.
Johnson's brigade was now advanced in line of battle with skirmishers in front to the top of the hill, east of the station and on the left of the Knoxville road, and became exposed to the fire of the Federal battery on an elevation on the south side of the valley while skirmishing with the enemy's cavalry on an elevation just in its front. In the meantime, Maj.-Gen. McLaws' division, after crossing the stream in our rear, was moved by the flank on to the ascent of the mountain on the north side of the valley, and two companies of the Forty-third Alabama Regiment, under Col. Moody, by order of Gen. Longstreet, were moved as skirmishers by the right flank along the edge of the woods on the slope of the mountain to cover the movement of McLaws' division, intended to turn the enemy's left flank.
After our two batteries had fired some thirty rounds each from their first positions, I ordered a section of Parker's battery to move to the left and front to a commanding position on the right of Johnson's brigade, where it opened on a well-formed line of the enemy's cavalry in its front and on the battery on the south side of the valley. While this section of Parker's battery was moving to its position on the right of that occupied by Johnson's brigade, I received an order from the lieutenant general commanding to press my line forward. The line of Gracie's brigade had, however, been somewhat advanced, and was exposed to the fire of the Federals occupying the large hotel building at Bean's station and firing through loop-holes cut in the wall of the second and third stories. A large frame house east of the hotel was about this time set on fire, it is believed, by the enemy to prevent us from using it as a shelter. I accordingly sent two of my staff officers with the necessary orders to move forward Gracie's brigade, while Col. Fulton advanced Johnson's brigade under my eye, and the two batteries of our artillery still continued to play upon the enemy's lines in our front.
The advance in Gracie's brigade was made mainly by the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, under Col. Sanford, the Fifty-ninth and eight companies of the Forty third Alabama Regiments moving up as skirmishers on its right and rear. Capt. Blakemore, my aide-de-camp, first conveyed to Col. Sanford the order to advance about the time Johnston's brigade commenced moving. This regiment rushed forward gallantry, and with a shout passed the line of the Fifty-ninth and eight companies of the Forty-third Alabama Regiments deployed as skirmishers. In this movement the Sixtieth Alabama Regt. was exposed to the heavy fire of the enemy, concealed in the hotel, and of a line of Federals in the plain west of the hotel, and it consequently halted, and the men attempted to cover themselves by lying on the ground. The deliberate fire delivered with accuracy from the loop-holes of the hotel continually struck the men of the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment as they lay immovably on the ground, and when that regiment subsequently arose to advance again on the hotel, under orders conveyed to Col. Sanford by Lieut. Moorhead, Gracie's brigade inspector, it left its line marked out by the dead and wounded.
Johnson's brigade was now moving in a handsome line down the western slope of the hill east of the station and south of the Knoxville road. In this movement it was exposed to the fire of the enemy's cavalry in line of battle and to a battery of artillery in its front, and on passing the creek at the foot of the slope its line was enfiladed from the loop-holes of the hotel on its prolongation to the right. This brigade sought by lying down to secure the shelter afforded by the undulations of the ground, while the companies on the right fired on the hotel. The enemy's battery in front of Johnson's brigade retired as soon as that brigade descended below its range. The cavalry retired a little from the brow of the hill, but maintained their line. The Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, of Gracie's brigade, now arose and advanced on the right of the Knoxville road directly upon the hotel in the face of the fire from that building, and from a line of the enemy extending across the valley south of the hotel, which caused the regiment to take to the shelter of a large stable some 50 yards east of the hotel building, where it continued to return the enemy's fire. In this advance Col. Sanford was knocked down by a shot, but afterward joined the regiment at the stable, where it had moved under command of Lieut. Col. D. S. Troy.
The Fifty-ninth and eight companies of the Forty-third Alabama Regiment, deployed as skirmishers, stretched from a point some distance to the right of the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, and advanced somewhat later than that regiment on to the slope of the hollow north of the hotel. About this time Taylor's and Parker's batteries were directed to fire a few shots at the hotel, which was done. Some two shots were unfortunately fired by mistake into the stable occupied by the Sixtieth Alabama Regiment, by which 2 men are said to have been killed and 2 or 3 wounded.
In the above attitude of affairs I was advised that I could call on Brig.-Gen. Jenkins for support from his command (Hood's division) if I should need it. I immediately requested Gen. Jenkins to move one or two brigades by the flank through the woods on the slope of the mountains on the south side of the valley with a view to turn the enemy's right flank. This was about sunset. About dusk I directed Col. Fulton to push his brigade to the top of the hill in his front, which was done without resistance. About this time McLaws' division opened fire on the enemy's left flank on the north side of the valley. I now learned that Gen. Jenkins had decided that it was too late to make the proposed movement on the enemy's right flank, and I consequently concluded to press no farther my left brigade, which was very weak.
It being reported to me indirectly from Col. Sanford that the enemy were still occupying the hotel building, I ordered the left section of Parker's battery to move up to within 350 yards and fire into it. Some two balls were fired into the building, when the battery ceased to allow the infantry to advance and take possession of it. It was now found that the Yankees, all but 3 captured in the cellar, had made their escape from the west end of the hotel. Buckner's division was now in complete possession of Bean's Station, from which, with the aid of the artillery and the movement on the flank by McLaws' division, it had driven the enemy. The Federal forces had resisted our attack persistently and gallantry, no doubt with a view to save their little camp equipage, trains, &c., and in the darkness of the night their cavalry, once fairly in motion, could not be successfully pursued by our shoeless infantry. We therefore rested on our line at Bean's Station during the night. During the fight Parker's battery fired 375 rounds of shell and Taylor's battery perhaps as many.The enemy's forces are represented to have been three brigades of cavalry. We have had no means of determining the number of their killed and wounded. Common reports, which seem to come from the enemy, place their killed at 100. The officers and men of my command behaved handsomely in this affair



Most of the battle action took place around the Bean Station Tavern seen in the artist's sketch below. In 1814, it was the largest tavern between Washington DC and New Orleans. Several US Presidents stayed there while passing through the area.

  This is a picture of the tavern taken around 1935 while it was still standing. Notice the marker that is in the right side of the front yard.  

In 1940, before the Holston River was dammed and Cherokee Lake created, the tavern was torn down with the intention of relocating it to higher ground. Unfortunately, before the structure could be rebuilt, it was destroyed by fire. This is the marker in the picture and it was moved here before the lake was created. The text on the marker reads -

Bean Station

This was one of the first settlements in Tennessee. William Bean and Daniel Boone camped here in 1775. Indians massacred the first settler, a farmer named English. Permanently settled by William II, Robert, George and Jessie Bean, who were granted over 3,000 acres of land along German Creek for Revolutionary services; William II and Robert being captains of militia. The Bean house located seventy feet south of this marker, formed one corner of the fort and was built over a spring to insure water for defenders in case of siege. Here was the intersection of Daniel Boone’s trail and the great war path of the Cherokees, later a crossing of Baltimore to Nashville stage road and Kentucky to Carolina turnpike. Bean Station was a post village and important stopping place for travelers. Whiteside Inn was built in 1811. Bean Station Inn built 1814, was the largest tavern between Washington and New Orleans. John Sevier, Andrew Jackson, James K. Polk, Henry Clay, and Andrew Johnson were among notable men entertained here. Bean Station and valley was the scene of battle between armies of Longstreet and Burnside during the Civil War.

  With the battlefield flooded and the tavern long removed, this marker is the only indication that there was a battle fought here.  
  So Sissy and I at least get a picture standing in front of the marker. This will be the only battlefield where we can not stand within 100 yards of where JKP stood during a battle.  
  Somewhere out there in the lake lies the battlefield and the site of the tavern.  
  With that site visit behind us, it's back to I81 that I call 'trucker's alley'.  
  It's a bit of a haul, but soon we are at the Days Inn in Wytheville, a place where I have stayed before while on other trips. We will be staying here on our way back in a few days.  
  It's a nice motel and it has several eating places nearby. There is a Shoney's right next door and it is a very good one. Their buffet is always top notch and very reasonably priced.  
  And what's even better is that they have blackberry cobbler on the buffet and chocolate softserve in a machine - not that I like sweet stuff that much.  
  But I was always taught it was bad manners to take some and then not eat it, so I do my best to live up to my raising.  
  We talk about where we are headed and what we will do tomorrow. I decide that if we have the time after visiting the Drewery Bluff Battlefield, we will head on over and see if I can locate the spot where JKP was captured. It's been a long day but a good day, and I fall asleep very easily after that lovely dessert.