WHAT'S NEW WITH UNCLE PHIL ...
For those who might be interested, I'll try to keep this area current with what my near future rides are and other such trivia. If I'm going to be in your area, drop me an e-mail at UnclePhilus@hotmail.com and if possible we can grab a bite to eat. Hope to see you on the road!
Planned Rides And Such
1. 'Medical' life has started to settle down a bit finally as the arterial clearing surgery on my leg seems to have worked (just had a check up). And my annual physical results were good so it looks like I am going to live until I die. I hope that the coming year will be free of 'medical adventures' for me and my wife!
2. The ride to the Blue Ridge Gathering at Cruso, NC is an annual event that I have hosted for over ten years. Nothing formal, just some folks meeting up to ride and eat, and eat and ride! We meet at the Moonshine Campground near Sylva, NC and folks seem to have a good time. We had over to 50 folks show up this year (2017) and we could not have asked for better weather. The camping area looked like a bunch of mushrooms had sprouted up while we were out riding Thursday. The Friday group ride had over 35 bikes in total and went really well using the Drop and Sweep Method. The leaves were just before their peak, showing some color on the sides of the mountains. Close to 40 folks showed up for our supper at the Sagebrush Steakhouse. We'll be having it again at the same place next year since Miss Dana and Jim are kind enough to let us come back.
3. My knees are doing just fine and I can honestly say that I would not know that I had a replacement if it were not for the scars and some activities that I avoid to prolong the life of the implants. Currently I am walking two miles a day and riding five miles a day on my exercise bike. I am hoping work my way back up to three miles walking and ten miles biking as I was doing before my aneurysm repair surgery.
4. Andy and I did a Day Ride which was my last ride for a while because of my surgery for an arterial blood clot in my left leg on February 24th. It was good to get some wind in my ears!
5. Finally I was able to get back into the saddle after my blood clot surgery. You can find it here.
6. I just posted the pictures and commentary for my recent ride across the United States on Highway 50, The Main Street Of The USA. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
I was able to ride 17,798 miles in 2016 and that with being out of the saddle for almost 3 months due to medical drama. Most of my major rides are done for 2017 and I've already done over 14,000 miles. If all goes as planned, I am looking to return to the Canadian Maritimes with my friend, Alain, in the summer of 2018. I want to include a visit to Newfoundland while I am up there. And I still have my eyes on a run down Highway 6 sometime in the future. So keep tuned in, cause you just never know where I might show up ....
You can reach me at UnclePhilus@hotmail.com anytime as I check it daily unless I'm on the road. If you have questions about the site, or touring, places I've been or such, I'll be glad to share what little I know. Thanks for stopping by!